Forum Discussion

3 days ago

Ummm... That's not supposed to happen...

Hiya! I've got a small issue in the fact that after this new update every time a pop up from my laptop comes up the area where the pop up was goes really glitchy (if I was being hacked, that's how I would describe it lmao 🥲🫠)

I probably need to redownload it, but I've tried before and just lost all the worlds on my account! Could it maybe be some kind of cc pack messing up? 

Anyway if anyone has any ideas please I would really need them.

I'll add a photo too to show 🫶

• Dead2BeginWith  Please remove your entire Mods folder, and anything inside ConfigOverride, and test.  You don't need to save your progress.

If this doesn't help, please provide a dxdiag.  Hit Windows key-R, enter dxdiag in the run box, wait for the scan to finish, click "Save all information," and save the file to your desktop.  From there, you can attach it to a reply using the camera (Insert Media) icon included with the other formatting buttons.

Please also let me know whether switching to DirectX 9 or 11 mode (whichever you're not using) fixes the issue.  If you can't get far enough to see the graphics options, where DX9 is a check box on some systems, you can force the game to load in either mode through the EA App.  Open your game library, click Sims 4 > Manage > View properties, and enter either -dx9 or -dx11 as a command line argument, whichever one you're testing.

• Dead2BeginWith  Please remove your entire Mods folder, and anything inside ConfigOverride, and test.  You don't need to save your progress.

If this doesn't help, please provide a dxdiag.  Hit Windows key-R, enter dxdiag in the run box, wait for the scan to finish, click "Save all information," and save the file to your desktop.  From there, you can attach it to a reply using the camera (Insert Media) icon included with the other formatting buttons.

Please also let me know whether switching to DirectX 9 or 11 mode (whichever you're not using) fixes the issue.  If you can't get far enough to see the graphics options, where DX9 is a check box on some systems, you can force the game to load in either mode through the EA App.  Open your game library, click Sims 4 > Manage > View properties, and enter either -dx9 or -dx11 as a command line argument, whichever one you're testing.

• Hiya, thanks so much for your response. I've deleted all that's in my mod folder (still coming up glitchy 🥲) but I'm not sure where to find the ConfigOverride sorry. 

When I get the next chance I'll try the other options though 👍

• Checked and its all empty, ran the program and the issue still unresolved. 

Here's the dxdiag attached.

Just about to try switching to one of the modes, but will keep you updated!

Thanks for the help

• Oh my goodness thank you so much, the glitchings gone! I put in the -dx9 line and so far so good! 

I would ask what went wrong but I probably wouldnt understand it 😅 is there any way of preventing it, or ways to repair if it happened again so I didn't have to ask on here? 

Again thank you so much for your help, if there's anything I can do like a review or recommendation for EA then I'd be happy to complete it.

Hope you have the most amazing day!!

• Dead2BeginWith  I'm so glad to hear it's working.  I believe the problem is that your laptop's graphics driver is from 2020 and not particularly compatible with the (very new) DirectX 11 version of Sims 4.  The DX9 version has wider compatibility, especially with older hardware and software.

Anyway, you can install the newest driver from AMD:

https://www.amd.com/en/support/downloads/drivers.html/processors/ryzen/ryzen-3000-series/amd-ryzen-7-3700u.html

Run the installer as an admin: right-click the download and select "Run as administrator."  Restart after installing and before trying to play Sims 4.  Try switching back to DirectX 11, by removing the -dx9 command, and see how it goes.

As for why this happened, I guess neither you nor Windows updated the driver, which is not uncommon for some types of laptops.  If you do run into this kind of issue again, that same link above will always have the newest-available driver for this laptop.  And it's also likely, given that this particular driver is somewhat new, that Sims 4 will be compatible with it for a while, so you may not have to worry about it for the lifespan of the computer.  But if you do see another graphical glitch, the first question is whether the graphics driver needs another update.

Thank you for the kind words, but (luckily for most of us) this site doesn't have reviews for helpers.  The "hero+" tag (of which I'm not a huge fan) next to my username means EA does recognize that I'm good at helping, which is more than enough on that front.