Forum Discussion

7 years ago

Crystal spending

I'm a little confused (still) at the economics philosophies EA has put into this game. Right now there sits a 4 shard tile in shipments with Hoth Rebel Soldier's name on it and cost is 200 crystals. If I go to farm 4 shards, it'll cost me no more than full energy plus 50 crystals. What's the point of that?

I thought, in economics, you get people to spend by introducing instant gratification at a lower cost. The price of items should cost less in-game currency than what it would cost to grind out the pieces. The higher priced items such as gear pieces and full gear is where the biggest difference should be seen. 150 crystals spent per day to farm one full cuff gear requiring 50 pieces costs about 900 crystals amd 6 days, give or take. Thats 500 fewer crystals than to buy cuffs at 1,400 in shipments.

This is where EA can improve because it gives ALL of the player base a reason to buy crystals for the shipments. What I'm saying is, EA has overvalued.
  • Character shards cost the same regardless of toon. So, something like Mother Talzin shards will cost 200 shards just the same as HRSoldier, even though Talzin is “worth it” and HRS isn’t.
  • That doesn’t make any sense. Why would instant come at a lower cost?

What they need to do now though is change the gear prices. The availability of gear has shot up. So now I no longer buy it from the shop, because the value just isn’t there.
  • You're patient. Some aren't. If you farm your 4 shards and stop you have 4 shards. If you do the same tomorrow you have 8. BUT, if you spend 200 crystals in addition to the 50 used for farming you can have 8 today. That's the instant gratification they're targeting. The math is over simplified for the purpose of the example so please don't point out how it would be cheaper to buy a node and energy refresh and farm 4 more :)

I agree though. I'd be more inclined to spend crystals on shards of the cost were the same as farming then.

For gear they're targeting time saved. That 1400 crystal piece might take 7-10 days to farm. If it has 1 rare 50 salvage requirement. If it has 2 it may take longer. Why wait 7+ days when you can have it now? This is where they get me. I'll my crystals and buy the full pieces once a week or so.

The final piece your missing is opportunity cost. If you don't buy that full gear piece you miss out on the opportunity to farm something else for the next 7+ days.

Prices are high, but when you can get 7500ish free crystals a week it isn't too bad.
  • "beholdtheSHAH;c-1364396" wrote:
    You should pay more for the item that requires less work.

We may see economics differently. If I want someone to spend more frequently, I'm going to offer them a price that's 10% lower than retail value.
  • The math on purple gear is actually even a little bit better than that. Assuming 1/4th drop rate for purple gear (I believe that's accurate based on testing) to get a full stun cuff you'd need 200 attempts (200/4=50). That's 2000 energy, which would require 16.7 (2000 needed energy divided by 120 energy per refresh) energy refreshes. Rounded to 17 refreshes and that's 850 crystals to get a full stun cuff.
  • "jhbuchholz;c-1364410" wrote:
    You're patient. Some aren't. If you farm your 4 shards and stop you have 4 shards. If you do the same tomorrow you have 8. BUT, if you spend 200 crystals in addition to the 50 used for farming you can have 8 today. That's the instant gratification they're targeting. The math is over simplified for the purpose of the example so please don't point out how it would be cheaper to buy a node and energy refresh and farm 4 more :)

I agree though. I'd be more inclined to spend crystals on shards of the cost were the same as farming then.

For gear they're targeting time saved. That 1400 crystal piece might take 7-10 days to farm. If it has 1 rare 50 salvage requirement. If it has 2 it may take longer. Why wait 7+ days when you can have it now? This is where they get me. I'll my crystals and buy the full pieces once a week or so.

The final piece your missing is opportunity cost. If you don't buy that full gear piece you miss out on the opportunity to farm something else for the next 7+ days.

Prices are high, but when you can get 7500ish free crystals a week it isn't too bad.

See, this is where I have an issue with their economical ideas. I want to buy crystals and help fund further development of this game, but I can't spend on terrible bargains. If the cost is even 10% more than retail, I'd buy, but right now that margin is almost 40-50% percent more.

They're targeting maybe 20% (probably less) of the player base who can spend hundreds a week as opposed to 70% who can spend a hundred a week.

Just saw that HRS in shipments, and had to express.
  • "I_WANT_YODA;c-1364412" wrote:
    "beholdtheSHAH;c-1364396" wrote:
    You should pay more for the item that requires less work.

We may see economics differently. If I want someone to spend more frequently, I'm going to offer them a price that's 10% lower than retail value.

Yes, but RNG isnt involved with yours.

Heres the thing, and its been proven. On average over the course of how many attempts, the average character shard is approx 50 crystals. Thats whether you want to include 8-16 cantina and 12-20 hard node energy spent and refreshes. So while it may not be worth it for say Genosian Soldier or Hoth Rebel Soldier, it is worth it for Baze or Chirrut. Thats why some toons are still premium prices at 80 crystal/shard. And even now TIE advanced/MF are 100/shard.

In the end, when I spend, I look at the time involved to "farm/camp" and the possibility of RNG in my favor or not in my favor. I think in the end, its easier and more efficient to just buy with shards with crystals.

~D
  • "I_WANT_YODA;c-1364437" wrote:
    "jhbuchholz;c-1364410" wrote:
    You're patient. Some aren't. If you farm your 4 shards and stop you have 4 shards. If you do the same tomorrow you have 8. BUT, if you spend 200 crystals in addition to the 50 used for farming you can have 8 today. That's the instant gratification they're targeting. The math is over simplified for the purpose of the example so please don't point out how it would be cheaper to buy a node and energy refresh and farm 4 more :)

See, this is where I have an issue with their economical ideas. I want to buy crystals and help fund further development of this game, but I can't spend on terrible bargains. If the cost is even 10% more than retail, I'd buy, but right now that margin is almost 40-50% percent more.

They're targeting maybe 20% (probably less) of the player base who can spend hundreds a week as opposed to 70% who can spend a hundred a week.

Just saw that HRS in shipments, and had to express.

Oh. You're talking about buying crystals. I'm coming from the perspective of spending the free ones I get in game. Yeah, I wouldn't spend $10 on a 1400 crystal gear piece. That's silly.