Forum Discussion

3 years ago

Did I miss the memo on another SR squish?

I'm losing more points to squishes than through actual defeats in GAC. What was the reason again for the moving goalposts?

• "The_Noobish_Hipster;c-2341514" wrote:
    "Legend91;c-2341502" wrote:
    Squish that cat SR

The cat looked happier than the playerbase... Seriously, though - does the squish have any other effect than reducing the daily payout? Talking to a guildmate, he'll be staying in Kyber 2 for at least 6 days longer, because he now needs 3-0 to even make it into Kyber 1, instead of just 1 win. So that's a minimum of 100 crystals less for him. Is there anyone actually benefitting from these adjustments? Apart from the house, of course...

The squish pulls everyone back a little bit in the direction of their original starting point in the new GAC system. Meaning that your GP size gets factored in once again to favour account size over skill (win/lose ratio). It was no accident that CG repeated varations of the phrase "skill based" so many times when launching the new GAC. They needed to make us believe it would be fair and balanced when they moved the crystals there.
  • "LukielSkyberg;c-2341602" wrote:
    "The_Noobish_Hipster;c-2341514" wrote:
    Squish that cat SR

The cat looked happier than the playerbase... Seriously, though - does the squish have any other effect than reducing the daily payout? Talking to a guildmate, he'll be staying in Kyber 2 for at least 6 days longer, because he now needs 3-0 to even make it into Kyber 1, instead of just 1 win. So that's a minimum of 100 crystals less for him. Is there anyone actually benefitting from these adjustments? Apart from the house, of course...

The squish pulls everyone back a little bit in the direction of their original starting point in the new GAC system. Meaning that your GP size gets factored in once again to favour account size over skill (win/lose ratio). It was no accident that CG repeated varations of the phrase "skill based" so many times when launching the new GAC. They needed to make us believe it would be fair and balanced when they moved the crystals there.

A "little bit"? They're taking away over 1/4 of my points earned and justify it with "We're doing this to everyone so it's fair" while it's only a "We're unable and / or unwilling to make a fair system that doesn't punish you in any way as we can't have that many people in the top leagues because we don't want you to get that many crystals unless you whale".
  • "The_Noobish_Hipster;c-2341514" wrote:
    Squish that cat SR

Wouldn't said guildmate have to wait until the GAC round is over to get promoted anyway? So if they didn't drop a league they aren't losing anything... yet... if they go 1 - 2 this round then yeah, sucks for them, but we all know the answer is git gud and win those 3.

They did post about the squish though, I do believe. Or we got an in game message or something. I knew about it, and I am rarely on the forums these days.
    SnuggeSnuggles
    Seasoned Newcomer
    I still don’t understand the purpose of the squish. If we get too many points from winning why not just adjust the points we get? If it’s because too many people get promoted over time because more people play then you should just add additional levels with higher rewards accordingly.
  • I gained points, both squishes… so probably its a zero sum game?
  • "24_Tuesdays;c-2341531" wrote:
    "Jakdnels;c-2341526" wrote:
    I dropped a lot as well after the event but assumed it was due to my performance. Your graph looks like you did fairly well. To be dropped and lose all progress for that really deserves some explanation. Unfortunately CG has gone from bad to worse in the communication department.

loss of crystals - bad

easier opponents - good!

The only problem is our opponents got squished too, so you’d be facing the same as before the squish. It’s only a loss of crystals. Not easier opponents.
  • Are divisions and leagues there for any other purposes than to define reward tiers? They could just make all the rewards functions of SR, e.g. end of season crystals = SR / 2, and do away with the divisions and leagues altogether.
  • The squish is to keep the relative size of each of the division about the same as we progress through a season. Meaning roughly the same amount of people will be in each individual division during each week one when compared against each other week one, each week two. It’s necessary because cg doesn’t want equal sized divisions of 20 percent each but instead their goal of 10/25/30/25/10.

Division 5 members should always gets a boost in points as that division grows too large in numbers for the stated desired goal. Division 1 will always lose points for the same reason.

Why cg decided unbalanced division was the right choice is anyones guess.