Forum Discussion

2 years ago

Please Clarify and explain CG?

I would like to premise this stating that I am not expressing my personal opinion on any group(s) of people, this is aimed at clarification of something in-game.

As far as I am aware, Darth Maul is a male and is also referred to as one in-game. As shown here:

So what exactly is "they" referring to in his new level 9 DC?

Can CG or someone please clarify if this means Darth Maul gets revived (and, if so, why use "they")? Is it the whole team? Or is it all "maul" units?

Thanks.
  • Swgoh is full of inconsistent language and ability descriptions. That's never going to change.

Just look at abilities that mean a unit "Can't be defeated" they do not always function the same way.
    NotRealUltra
    Seasoned Newcomer
    "MrRandyWatson;c-2427262" wrote:
    "Enigmatic_Potato;c-2427248" wrote:
    Yep. The Ability Text is created generically so it can be reused for other units later on. You'll find all the Crons are like this.

Why does it matter which pronoun is used? They is gender neutral and is grammatically correct here.

The wording could be confusing especially for non-English speaking players. The poster asks if only Maul is revived (he) or if the entire team is revived (they). He/She is always singular. They/them can be singular or plural - thus the confusion here.

I understand why CG would use these specific words but that doesn't mean it may not be a source of confusion to other players.

If you assume “they” meant all Darth Maul units that OP possibly reads it as then there is only one Darth Maul unit in the game

Other variants of Darth Maul have other unit names

The other reading where they is the team, it doesn’t say which team yours or allies so it’s not a right reading
    Magruffin
    Seasoned Rookie
    Not to mention Maul (conquest unit)'s leadership wording.....thats confusing as heck
  • "wildnz;c-2427246" wrote:
    Most likely the text and Cron was created with no specific unit in mind i.e. a generic container and later , the actual unit was decided upon. "They" is not an uncommon way of being able to insert any character in without rewriting the text. Thus , it refers to the unit and only the unit that is revived. You can view the mechanics of each data Cron in more detail at swgoh.gg.

Here you go. https://swgoh.gg/db/datacrons/9/ability/ability_set_maul_001/0/

Thanks mate, that makes sense.
  • "BubbaFett;c-2427458" wrote:
    "nfidel2k;c-2427453" wrote:
    "Badger_Diaz;c-2427449" wrote:
    “They” can be referred to anyone as a pronoun regardless of how they identify as a person.

I really don’t know why it’s a thread worthy conversation tbh. Does it really matter?

And, well, I think it’s quite clear what your personal opinion is of certain groups otherwise I doubt this thread would exist imo.

Not everyone that plays this game is an adult, or has a strong grasp of English grammar.

Don’t read into it, if for no other reason than we don’t need a political discussion here.

This... It's pretty clear to anyone who speaks basic english that the granted abilities apply only to darth maul.....

To others that mentioned that not all players are english speaking.... Then they should play the game in their own language if something this basic confuses them.....

As far as I know, the game is not available in all languages so not everyonecan do so unfortunately.
    Wasn't there a post not too long ago where someone asked for it to be made available in their language?(I think it was Ukrainian)
  • "PeachyPeachSWGOH;c-2427354" wrote:
    "Siffy;c-2427321" wrote:
    "Enigmatic_Potato;c-2427248" wrote:
    Yep. The Ability Text is created generically so it can be reused for other units later on. You'll find all the Crons are like this.

Why does it matter which pronoun is used? They is gender neutral and is grammatically correct here.

My opinion on why it matters:

I see now, in this case, "they" is used as a third-person singular pronoun. The main issue I had is that it seems to me that "they" is ambiguous, whereas "he" is the most correct (to me, at least). "They" is more commonly used as as plural (maybe less-so these days). CG could have used "Darth Maul is" which could alleviate a need for a pronoun altogether :)

CG has strange wording on occasion, so there's no harm in clarifying. Even when they (CG) intends to make an ability or Datacron interact in a certain way it is not always the case. Apparently the LS Bastilla datacron does not work as it reads. I have not confirmed this, but a friend of mine says she must be in the leader slot for it to apply (which, if true, means the DC is not as valuable).

I'm 99% certain that the datacron only applies to your team, however, it'd be funny if the enemy Darth Maul revived when you killed him because of your own datacron lol. I don't want to assume as I'm a human that gets things wrong sometimes.

Thanks for taking the time to share your interpretation. Appreciate it mate.

Grammatically there is no confusion here. A pronoun always refers to a noun that comes before it. In this case there is only one noun before "they", which is "Darth Maul".

Except there have been several occasions where CG has created confusion such as the original Ackbar Omicron.

While in Grand Arenas: At the start of battle, all allies gain Tenacity Up for 2 turns. If all allies are Rebel, whenever an ally's buff expires, they gain 3% Turn Meter.

Because of the commas, 'an ally's buff' is an appositive and the 'They' applies to the noun following 'all'. CG ended up changing it to 'That ally gains' because it was incorrect.

This happens on DC's as well although not this case, and I get why CG is are doing it but they have created incorrect refences to the effects by using 'They'. I can only imagine the havoc that could wreak in language translations.

• Thanks for all the comments and clarification everyone. Not quite sure how to close a thread, but I got the answer. Not looking to cause any arguments etc.

I've been taught never to just assume, instead I consulted this awesome community, and you delivered! See you round the Holotables.

(Thread closed!)