Forum Discussion

MasterSeedy
Seasoned Hotshot
3 days ago

Structuring the next raid

There have been a lot of posts about the current raid, mostly harshly critical. I've tried to be helpful and upbeat, encouraging other players. And I don't regret that. Most of the posts have focussed on calling the raid trash which lets out feelings, but doesn't actually help anyone.

I want this thread to help. 

For that reason, I'm not going to focus on Naboo. It's too late for this raid. Even if they wanted to tweak it, by the time they do, it will be more than 1/2 over. Instead, I want to focus on what makes a reasonably good raid, and therefore how CG can improve on past efforts when crafting the next one.

I have some basic expectations for raids.

1. If I take toons to the max tier to get the max score, I also want it to be easy. This is a Quality of Life reward for investment in the raid. I like interesting strategies as much as the next person. There was no bigger fan of the original (pre-Omicron) KAM mission than me. But the game simply has too much to do. Restarting raid attempts over and over creates frustration in the player base. While that might be fine for Tier0 where you're deliberately making things hard to encourage investment, any r8 or r9 tier should be an easy max with vanishingly few restarts. Requiring correct modding and strategy to make it work is also fine, but not RNG. Whatever RNG exists at lower tiers should be overwhelmed by your faction bonus when you hit tiers where the minimum eligibility is r8.
  2. Omicrons should provide a major quality of life benefit. If raids teams are going to be capable of max scores at r7 plus, then Omicrons can't make a major difference in score. Instead they should make a major difference in whether you can quickly, easily, or even on auto reach that same score. If I had a choice between getting 3.6M with my Queen Amidala team playing manually or 90% of that (3.24M) on auto, I would take the auto every time. The Omicrons should be a short cut to the easy quality of life benefits that I mentioned in p1 should be available (without Omicron) at r8+. Easily maxing the raid at r5, a very attainable relic tier, should be the measure of whether or not your Omicron is tuned appropriately. 
  3. More raid Omicrons. Some teams will be taken to r9 and thus not need Omis. But if Omicrons are a quality of life mechanic, then they have to be available for more squads. Pick an elite team that you know will easily max the raid at r8 or r9 -- usually that will be a GL squad, but it could also be the equivalent of Naboo's Gungans or QA squad. That one squad gets no Omicrons. The point is to encourage people to slap insane relics on it. All the other squads should get an Omi that makes the team an easy max at r5. No one is going to spend that many mats, of course. The point is that not everyone will have every eligible team fully relic'd. By providing an Omi for every squad, you make sure that if a player has even one mid-relic squad, there is an Omi available for them. Thus you're not withholding these quality of life improvements from players who don't have the new shiny team. Quality of life should be available to all. 
  4. All the new shinies should be available easily on day 1. Not available if you're a whale, easily available. The one, limited exception should be a Journey Guide character who must have their second event -- not first, but second -- on or before the 28th day of a new raid. This doesn't guarantee that players have enough materials to relic the necessary prerequisites for any particular toon (especially a GL), but the raid is there for players to participate in it. The definition of "easily" should be "average RNG with 15 attempts per day on a hard node will take this toon to 7 stars with 5-7 days to spare." Some toons will be released earlier and thus hit 7 stars much earlier, but EVERY toon should be available with that basic farming regimen. For those toons derived from events, they simply need to have their events finished by then, with prerequisites available on that time frame -- again, with a single exception of a single toon that's in the Journey Guide and whose second event happens with 28days of raid start. Let us have the characters necessary to play the raid. 
  5. Below g12, gear tiers should matter. A straight g11 squad should do better than a straight g10 squad. 
  6. Above g12, relic tiers should matter for those squads that are not gaining max score. This rewards players for taking part of a squad up to the next tier before they have all the toons at the same relic so as to qualify jumping up. This can be as simple as giving any toon that has greater than the minimum qualifying relic Damage Immunity for 1 or 2 turns the first time they fall below yellow health. This type of mechanic reduces RNG, reduces restarts, and yet won't make a team suddenly capable of insane scores. Other bonuses for above-minimum toons are also possible, but this strikes me as a particularly elegant one. 
  7. Characters and resources available should make it possible for guild-wide income to remain steady with the release of a new raid, or, if guild income falls, it returns to what guilds were earning at the end of the last raid within a month of the release of a new raid. In the past income always increased with the release of a new raid because old raids did not go away. Being forced to spend to go nowhere isn't fun. Your players want to make progress. Maybe increases in income are slow to accumulate. After all, raids are now released on a quicker time frame than in the past. But instead of that giant leap in income every couple years, there should be slow gains in income. What I see in my own guild and others is no progress at all: the first half of a raid's lifetime we see one reward box, the second we see a better, but when a new raid drops we are back to the lesser box and we don't have a reasonable chance to improve beyond the best that we did the raid prior. Some of that may be individual guilds and motivation, I can't say. But you have the data to show whether Mk3 token income is down or up and by how much. Please make sure that to the extent average Mk3 income (across the game) falls, it never falls for long, and the general income trend is upward, not flat. 
  8. Provide a setting to disable moving backgrounds. 

Other people might have other expectations, and if I agree strongly with them, I might even edit this post to include them. 

As for comments, please provide actual suggestions and good information about what you want to see in the raid. Liking or hating a raid is not enough (on its own) to provide that sort of feedback. If you just want to hate on one of the raids, there are plenty of other threads where you can do that. 

No RepliesBe the first to reply