Forum Discussion

8 years ago

Will Thawn beat rex/chaze?

Hi All.

I'm a bit behind on the reading regarding thawn. I've seen people saying he may struggle against zmaul/SA....but I was just about to change my arena team to the annoyingness of rex/chaze/DN.

I realise we don't have him yet and we don't know anything for sure but is the consensus that he will or won't be a problem to the rex lead team above? (p.s haven't got GK yet :-( so R2 will be my 5th eventually)
  • "Olddumper;c-1129093" wrote:
    "Rapid;c-1129068" wrote:
    "Xetal;c-1129046" wrote:

Having not played with Thrawn yet (obviously) I can't answer that for sure... but the question that should be asked isn't "Can Thrawn beat Rex?", it is "Is Thrawn better as an anti-Rex than the options that already exist?".

or perhaps as has come to light earlier in this thread.....is thrawn a better option than DN under a rex lead??

I'm beginning to think wedge lead trawn Ahsoka Biggs and r-2 will replace triple cleanse teams for light side players. R-2 will stealth all but Thrawn and then he will fracture. Now you are facing a counter attacking Thrawn and a bunch of stealthed DPS.

You can use Tarkin lead, make him fastest, and put IT down before anyone moves on opposing team - then they're hitting like nothing. Now launch all you want and laugh at Biggs 3x tickle shot. Ahsoka would have to eat through Shore, possibly with him having crit immunity up already if modded fast. That team would seem to have big big issues not having a pre-taunt / spam taunt and no cleanse. Remember with cc down on Tarkin R2's passive cleanse won't cleanse. Rebels with O / cc down for 3 turns will be a terrible team.
  • "Nebulous;c-1129319" wrote:
    "Indominable_J;c-1129296" wrote:
    "Nebulous;c-1129183" wrote:
    "Olddumper;c-1129138" wrote:
    I'm still planning DT 1st and then Thrawn.

Increase cooldowns. Then fracture Baze, debuff with Tarkin, buff immunity GK with Krennic, Tarkin will go again from 90 percent TM gain and remove 50 percent TM and then DN will rip cooldowns again. Now their cooldowns are at 2. Gk is buffless and Baze is fractured.

Krennic still can stagger them to reduce TM again and DT will daze stun Chirrut and daze Rex. It's all roses.

Only reason I don't like this is because this will remove taunt from baze and give it to gk (I'm confident in 1 crit occurring) so now thrawn HAS to target gk.

Fracturing Kenobi isn't the worst thing. Shuts down his cleanse/retribution, and his taunt. So now, when anyone gets hit with a crit, they get crit immunity but you can still target them, meaning that you stop feeding the TM train.

Baze is more hearty, counters, gains a ton of tm, feeds tm to chirriut, auto taunts, and has two dispels.

Remove baze and we remove our opponent's ability to target anyone. Our taunts will force them to hit tanks. GK is a very good toon, but I prefer to to lock baze. This is in our control also. I always look at the defense side of the team. I'd rather know who my team will target and minimize the weaknesses.

When we have to face both, it can brutal. Take out 1 tank and it's manageable. Take out the tank who can dispel my tank, now we are cooking.

PREACH!! Giving me shivers :)

Totally agree about the Baze impact - he holds down the defense and controls enemy tactics as well. He single handily could shut down a Shore + Storm dual taunt combo with his aoe and 2nd dispel. Now imagine being able to keep taunts / crit immunity in place when these teams are attacking...massive game changer. The TM gain on Baze, that then fed Chirrut, is also huge...add in the fact that he can't get foresight from R2 or GK and that's saving you multiple missed attacks there. Biggest thing as you note - he's much harder to kill than GK due to the additional mid-round heal and counter attacking.

Chirrut gets of lot of headlines in that duo cause he has the flashy damage and produces all the hots..but take him away from Baze and he's very average. Baze however, can still function at a decent level without Chirrut. This is why, despite being a harder farm, you see Baze's usage consistently higher than Chirrut's since they day they were released. Baze can be used in non-Rebel squads with solid effectiveness. Baze is the heart to these teams. The others are studs too, but in preparing for the battle, Baze creates the most problems to consider.
  • "JohnnySteelAlpha;c-1129495" wrote:
    "Olddumper;c-1129093" wrote:
    "Rapid;c-1129068" wrote:
    "Xetal;c-1129046" wrote:

Having not played with Thrawn yet (obviously) I can't answer that for sure... but the question that should be asked isn't "Can Thrawn beat Rex?", it is "Is Thrawn better as an anti-Rex than the options that already exist?".

or perhaps as has come to light earlier in this thread.....is thrawn a better option than DN under a rex lead??

I'm beginning to think wedge lead trawn Ahsoka Biggs and r-2 will replace triple cleanse teams for light side players. R-2 will stealth all but Thrawn and then he will fracture. Now you are facing a counter attacking Thrawn and a bunch of stealthed DPS.

You can use Tarkin lead, make him fastest, and put IT down before anyone moves on opposing team - then they're hitting like nothing. Now launch all you want and laugh at Biggs 3x tickle shot. Ahsoka would have to eat through Shore, possibly with him having crit immunity up already if modded fast. That team would seem to have big big issues not having a pre-taunt / spam taunt and no cleanse. Remember with cc down on Tarkin R2's passive cleanse won't cleanse. Rebels with O / cc down for 3 turns will be a terrible team.

True there isn't really a problem with making him faster but I don't think he needs to be. It's all overkill at this point. I fell to 5th last night and Thrawn will only make it better.

Now it's just being around at payout.
  • "Olddumper;c-1129517" wrote:
    "JohnnySteelAlpha;c-1129495" wrote:
    "Rapid;c-1129068" wrote:
    "Xetal;c-1129046" wrote:

True there isn't really a problem with making him faster but I don't think he needs to be. It's all overkill at this point. I fell to 5th last night and Thrawn will only make it better.

Your team is intriguing though - I have DT 7* G11 - but never bothered with pushing Krennic as I was hedging more Sith / Empire hybrid and also troopers with Veers - DT is also just flat out good vs. Rebels. I think it sounds solid though - I can see it. I'll keep an eye for your feedback and if so I'll push DK and start farming his shipments.

• "JohnnySteelAlpha;c-1129541" wrote:
    "Olddumper;c-1129517" wrote:
    "JohnnySteelAlpha;c-1129495" wrote:
    "Rapid;c-1129068" wrote:
    "Xetal;c-1129046" wrote:

Your team is intriguing though - I have DT 7* G11 - but never bothered with pushing Krennic as I was hedging more Sith / Empire hybrid and also troopers with Veers - DT is also just flat out good vs. Rebels. I think it sounds solid though - I can see it. I'll keep an eye for your feedback and if so I'll push DK and start farming his shipments.

Yeah zDT with Krennic is even a big leg up. Krennic only works well in this squad because his TM and Buff immunity. Keeps them locked in cooldowns.
  • "ddlooping2;c-1129450" wrote:
    "TurgonGW;c-1129321" wrote:
    I have a question regarding Thrawn's Basic - If the enemy has Buff Immunity inflicted on them, will his basic have no effect i.e. will it not activate Speed Up and then trigger Ability block etc?

Say for example your TFP went first and did his AoE and applied buff immunity - if Thrawn used his basic would it still give the buff immune enemie's speed up?

Tenacity-up stop debuffs from being applied.
    Speed-up being a buff I'm not sure it'd be blocked.

P.S: the Speed-up and Ability Block effects he applies are also described as irresistible ("can't be resisted").
  • What about a Krennic lead with DT, ShT, Tarkin and Thrawn. Thrawn fractures Baze, Tarkin puts his debuffs and either go again (+90% TM and use his 2nd special to Ability Block if crit). Whenever there are debuffs, Krennic and DT can also AB.