Forum Discussion

5 years ago

Best budget laptop/desktop for Sims 3 + expansions

I spent years of my life playing TS3 and have recently been feeling nostalgic for it. I have the base game and pretty much all EPs, and can’t play the game without twallan’s mods. Back in the day I had a hugely expensive gaming laptop, but I don’t have a PC at all any more.

I’ve googled and can see that to play on a laptop you still need something expensive, but can anyone give me an idea of what kind of price that I’d be looking at to play smoothly with minimal crashes/glitches? Recommendations also gratefully received.

I expect I’m going to find that a suitable laptop is outside of my budget these days, so would appreciate it if anyone could also recommend a decent desktop PC that could play the base game and all EPs without too much trouble.
  • @puzzlezaddict thank you for explaining. I shall check this tomorrow and report back so you know what I find.
  • @SuzyCue72 thank you for the information. I imagine even if it arrives today that it’ll be Wednesday before I get as far as having everything set up and the game running.
  • I did find the dxdiag report yesterday and pasted it into a text note. I’m not home right now to get it from the laptop. I also found the NVidia CP and was able to set the frame rate to 600. Still couldn’t run all EPs without lag after that. Spent the rest of the evening adding 5 nraas mods and ellascharmed world.

I’ll share the dxdiag later when I can be on the laptop. The laptop is physically a bit bigger than I can manage so if I can’t get it to run smoothly then my husband wants to send it back and we’ll get me a desktop instead.

• So... in the NVidia control panel, the framerate is set at 60.

Last night the framerate in play stayed under 60. Graphics were the typical slightly choppy Sims 3 look but the game ran without issue and no fans starting up like we’re about to launch into hyperdrive.

Restarted the computer this morning.

Went to play my game this morning and the fan started up immediately. Graphics looked too impressively smooth to be true. Did the fps-on and it was ticking along at 400ish. Closed the game, checked the NVidia settings and it’s still on 60.

Looked at the Intel Graphics Command Center too, also found it was set to 60.

Restarted the computer again.

I’m not enjoying myself because my husband is pushing me to decide if I want to return the laptop. He’s a programmer who doesn’t game online, so he cannot help me re the graphics card. At least I knew the graphics card was important before we bought a gaming laptop. I prefer to not have his help with my computers so that I can keep up with tech changes a bit.

This afternoon I shall look through all the advise here again and start again.

Thanks again for being so willing to help me out here.