Forum Discussion

Jehane40
Rising Hotshot
3 hours ago

Double installation on C and OneDrive??

I have a rather weird problem with  my installation, or at least I think it's weird. I decided to uninstall the game because it kept crashing after being stuck on a black screen, and when I wanted to reinstall via the EA app, I noticed two things:

• The suggested installation path is C\Program Files\EA Games\The Sims 3
  • There also seems to be an installation in OneDrive\Documents\Electronic Arts

This is very confusing because even after uninstalling the game, the files on OneDrive are still there - I don't even know why the game has been installed there to begin with. I have aborted the reinstallation because I suspect that having this weird double installation (if it even is one) might cause problems. 

My question is: Can I just ditch all the files in OneDrive (maybe with a backup...) and then reinstall the game on my C drive? I've never had such a weird problem before, so any advice would be very much appreciated. DxDiag file is attached.

• Jehane40  The install location refers to what the EA App installs.  The Sims 3 folder in Documents holds user data: saves, saved households and builds, mods Store stuff, etc.  These two folders are and should be kept separate for various reasons.  So having two folders is normal and a good thing.

I would suggest moving the Sims 3 user folder out of OneDrive to avoid any potential syncing-related issues.  I wrote this guide for Sims 4, but the principles apply equally to Sims 3:

https://answers.ea.com/t5/PC/CURRENT-ISSUE-Sims-4-saves-user-content-disappearing-PC/td-p/12475370

If you have any questions about the process, please feel free to ask.