Forum Discussion

4 years ago

Beards.

Tell me, Simmers, has this ever happened to you?
You download a new EP, and you go into CAS. And then you see this:

https://i.imgur.com/T4J6CSN.png

Your female Sims have so many CAS options they can't even fit on the page, while your male Sims get... 3.
If they're lucky.

So, because there's a lack of customization options, you don't make any male Sims. And then EA looks at your play data, and sees that Simmers don't make male Sims! So what do they do? They bring out another pack with hardly any male options. So then you don't make men. And on and on it goes.

"But Kwanzaabot!" I hear you say. "Men IRL don't have a lot of variety in their hairstyles!"

Well, gentle reader, I have two things to say to that.

A ) Maxis has enough of an imagination and enough inspiration to make a new men's hairstyle each pack, and
B ) men IRL do have variety in the way they style their hair.

It's just not the hair on the top of their heads.

https://i.imgur.com/5idr0Iu.png

Over the last 6 and a half years of TS4, Maxis has made a grand total of EIGHT beards. 7 in DLC--the last one was in Eco Lifestyle, and the one before that was way back in SEASONS--and one in a free patch. That's it.

Now I'm not some kind of high-falutin fashion expert, but I'm pretty sure there's more than eight kinds of facial hair for Maxis to draw inspiration from.
Did you know we still don't have SIDEBURNS? I had to download CC for them! We got MUTTON CHOPS in the basegame, but we never even got SIDEBURNS! A normal, common men's facial hair style! Not in the game!

We don't have curly hipster moustaches! Unkempt hippie beards!
We don't have handlebar moustaches! Or bushy broomstick moustaches! Or braided viking beards for our metalheads! We don't have long, bristly, burly mountain man beards! Faded beards! Maxis loves faded hairstyles, but we don't have a faded beard!
What about curly beard options for our BIPOC Sims? Robert Downey Jr's sculpted goatee?

What about greying options, so we can get blonde Sims with flecks of white in their beards?

If you're not gonna give male Sims hairstyles, Maxis, at least give them beards.
  • "luxsylvan;c-17875026" wrote:
    I'd actually really like beards to be set up so you can mix and match multiple parts. Does that make sense? Do beards works like that? Lol I don't know I just always want to use the stubble as an underneath layer. Maybe it would look bad under a mustache but I'll never know because I can't put them together.

In Sims 2 you could have stubble and a beard or moustache. I did that with my male sims a lot.
  • "SERVERFRA;c-18120280" wrote:
    And body hair. ;)

You wish come true now XD
  • Agreeing with so many points here, masculinity is the most erased gender expression for male sims in TS4.

I still play mostly male sims regardless of how few options they have compared to female sims, though.

One thing I would fix about beards, is in sims3, the way they grow almost straight across from the mustache instead of angling down, then following the jawline better, showing more cheek. They look so bad. At least sims4 beards have a better one shape.

Have enjoyed a mod that makes facial hair slowly grow, so the Sim has to shave, or else get stubble, then the stubble becomes a beard over time.