Forum Discussion

BENH8484
Seasoned Novice
3 hours ago

Cursed objects and lucky objects

Ok, so this is a weird one, but I like some unexpected drama in my game. Sometimes, every once in a while an object could be secretly cursed and cause problems until it's discovered, then you get to choose what to do about it. Replace it, cure it somehow? But until then it has the effect without you knowing what's doing it.

My first thought was supernatural stuff, like cursed artifacts that might make sims lose energy fast, or be unlucky in love, but then I realised there could totally be everyday and funny examples too. Like we've all had a coffee pot that always makes awful coffee, or a computer that keeps crashing and slowing us down at work.

On the flip side, some artifacts or objects could have positive hidden bonuses that are revealed later. A computer could be great for learning, or a coffee pot could make great coffee, or a stove could be really good for baking.

The objects in our homes are unique, typically some are great and others suck, and it gives our homes their own personality and changes how we live in them.

All of this could be revealed through gameplay. And if an object is cursed the value should go way down, and if it's lucky it should go up.

I feel like this would make objects less like everything is generic out a catalogue stuff and potentially give them unique aspects that make us think about them and what they do more. Most are standard, but every once in a while you'd get a great object or a dud.

The cursed lot trait could make cursed objects more likely. Spellcasters could be involved too in trying to add, remove or change how cursed/lucky an object is.

• Cursed items could cause issues like low energy or bad luck, while lucky ones offer hidden bonuses like faster learning or better baking. The value of these objects could change based on their effects, making them feel more unique. A cursed lot trait could increase the chances of cursed objects, and spellcasters could manipulate their properties. It adds a fun, dynamic element that makes players think more about their objects.

• Cursed Objects:

These are believed to carry negative energy, causing harm, bad luck, or misfortune to those who possess them. Here are some famous examples:

• The Hope Diamond: A large blue diamond believed to bring misfortune and death to its owners.
    • Annabelle the Doll: A seemingly ordinary Raggedy Ann doll, allegedly possessed and responsible for paranormal activities.
    • The Dybbuk Box: A wine cabinet said to be haunted by a malicious spirit, causing nightmares, illness, and strange occurrences to those who open it.
    • Ötzi’s Curse: The mummy of Ötzi the Iceman, whose discoverers supposedly faced untimely deaths.

Lucky Objects:

These items are believed to bring good fortune, protection, or happiness to their owners. Examples include:

• The Hope Diamond: A large blue diamond believed to bring misfortune and death to its owners.