Forum Discussion

3 years ago

Baking should be base game

Everytime my sim goes to make a cake, I always struggle, get lost and hit bake. Why don't we bake cookies, or bake cakes?

I get that Get to work added baking. Keep all of those recipes exclusive to Get to Work so people don't lose content, but baking as a skill should always have been base game.

Anyone who cooks will tell you that Baking/cooking are two completely different skill sets.

We have enough food items in the base game alone to fill out a base game baking skill, and plenty of pack recipes like Get to Work, Cottage living pies etc, and now wedding cakes (which could be gourmet.)
  • I'm ok with it being tied to GTW, but all the baked goods from base game and other packs should be repeated in the baking menu and build baking instead of cooking/gourmet skill if you do have GTW.
  • "Stormkeep;c-18052845" wrote:
    "MDianaSims;c-18052841" wrote:
    While I in principle agree, Get to Work would need at least one additional skill if they took out baking too (since they already took out photography).
    Maybe some retail/craft specific skills like toy making, sewing or chocolatier.

Sign me up for any of those. I particularly wish there was a skill specifically for retail owners. I know you get the perks for the business itself, but what about a Sim household that wants several different retail stores. There should be some kind of skill that allows their experience in one help when setting up a 2nd, 3rd, etc.

I'd like for the DO rating system to be added to retail too, and maybe modern elements of retail like setting up an online store and packaging/shipping items from the physical store to customers. Allow our sims to order from shops online too.
  • I really wish there was an easy way to access all recipes and chose from there, and depending on the recipe the sim would gain whatever skill like cooking, baking or gourmet. I find the current menu too cluttered with options to cook, bake, cook gourmet, cook single serving, cook group meal, cook breakfast/lunch/dinner, get leftovers, clean out bad food, etc.
  • "crocobaura;c-18054408" wrote:
    I really wish there was an easy way to access all recipes and chose from there, and depending on the recipe the sim would gain whatever skill like cooking, baking or gourmet. I find the current menu too cluttered with options to cook, bake, cook gourmet, cook single serving, cook group meal, cook breakfast/lunch/dinner, get leftovers, clean out bad food, etc.

I actually wish there was a way to access the recipes by categories of food, rather than by the cooking skill, with a single option on the pie menu for "prepare food" and then sub menus from there. And also with a way in game to create your own category for "favorite recipes" on a per sim basis.

There's a mod that does this (other than the favorites bit). I just don't use it because mods to do that sort of thing break with, literally, every game update.
  • "MDianaSims;c-18052841" wrote:
    While I in principle agree, Get to Work would need at least one additional skill if they took out baking too (since they already took out photography).

Sign me up for any of those. I particularly wish there was a skill specifically for retail owners. I know you get the perks for the business itself, but what about a Sim household that wants several different retail stores. There should be some kind of skill that allows their experience in one help when setting up a 2nd, 3rd, etc.
  • I agree and GTW does have the cupckake machine to distinguish it, though an additional culinary skill would be a welcome addition if they update it.
  • "Zeldaboy180;d-997326" wrote:
    Everytime my sim goes to make a cake, I always struggle, get lost and hit bake. Why don't we bake cookies, or bake cakes?

I get that Get to work added baking. Keep all of those recipes exclusive to Get to Work so people don't lose content, but baking as a skill should always have been base game.

Anyone who cooks will tell you that Baking/cooking are two completely different skill sets.

We have enough food items in the base game alone to fill out a base game baking skill, and plenty of pack recipes like Get to Work, Cottage living pies etc, and now wedding cakes (which could be gourmet.)

I agree 100% with this.
    Reddestiny921
    Seasoned Vanguard
    Well maybe one day it will since people spent money on ts2 and many got that for free. Though for now it is understandable they arent pulling everything out of the packs.
  • "MDianaSims;c-18052841" wrote:

Science skill would work well for that pack as it's an element of all the active careers. Change the lab specific objects to Science skill and keep Logic as a more general knowledge and problem solving skill.

Base game/SV science objects such as the microscope/observatory could build both Logic and Science skills as they realistically increase both general knowledge (Logic) and Laboratory Skills (Science).