Forum Discussion

5 years ago

Batuu is just canonically inaccurate!

Clearly someone didn’t do their research because what I’ve heard of the world coming in JTB is nothing like the actual Batuu!

Firstly, the planet is a jungle world, humid and temperate and scarred with winding river valleys. Apparently though, there’s no rain in the Sims 4 version, so what’s up with that! Was it too expensive, too hard to implement?

“Batuu's surface was covered in jungles, oceans”
Climate: Temperate
Primary terrain:
  • Cenotes
  • Forests
  • Mountains

https://twitter.com/SimGuruRomeo/status/1301917022029135872?s=20
This is a ridiculous excuse for the team’s laziness. Does this look at all comparable to the desert climate of California, Romeo?
To not include rain or snow in a new world is basically admitting it’s not compatible with seasons. Batuu should have had the same weather as Selvadorada, misty morning, torrential rain and thunderstorms.

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/starwars/images/0/06/Batuu_DPB.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20180529172116

Speaking of three suns, you can’t even see two of the suns from black spire outpost. Ubaat I is the only sun visible from the outpost throughout the entire year (I guess as a practical way to brush off the fact that the irl Disney park only has one sun in the sky, but it’s still canon none the less!)

“Ubaat I was one of three stars located in the Batuu system of the Outer Rim Territories, orbited by the planet Batuu. Out of the planet's three suns, it was the only one visible from the surface of Black Spire Outpost throughout the whole year.

As well as the suns, the moons of Batuu are also not both visible at the same time. Destra, the smaller of the moons, is tidally locked to the planet and can’t even be seen from black spire outpost.

“It was not visible from Black Spire Outpost, the planet's largest settlement.“

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/starwars/images/d/d3/Batuu-system.png/revision/latest?cb=20200822003007

Sorry to be so negative, I know it’s probably insignificant to most sims players, but to someone who actual gives a plum about the lore of Star Wars, this kind of ignorance and lack of research really upsets me and has made me question what’s really in this pack for a Star Wars nerd like me? Because it’s certainly not realistic aliens, a lively world bustling with markets and interesting characters, challenging missions or any kind of story at all.

It’s one thing to exclude the players from building in the world, but to not even have the accurate weather or astronomical details is a bit of a deal breaker. :disappointed:

This pack really should have been a stand-alone spin-off game with the appropriate budget and guidance from the Lucasfilm story group.
  • "SimmerGeorge;c-17649385" wrote:
    "CK213;c-17649363" wrote:
    "SimmerGeorge;c-17649356" wrote:
    "Nindigo;c-17648421" wrote:
    Batuu is just canonically inaccurate!

So what? This isn't a Star Wars game, so it doesn't have to be accurate. The Sims 4 is canonically incorrect itself.

But it's a star wars game pack...?

It's a Sims pack with a Star Wars theme.
    No one is going to get their hand or arm cut off, nor be cut in half.
    But they will use toilets and have woo hoo, a lot.

@CK213 Well yeah but why not say that in the tweet but lie about the three suns being the reason as to why it never rains or snows? Why say something innacurate?
    Also since it's a sims pack with a Star Wars theme then we don't need lightsabers either? Or you know actual characters from the movie in the game? Seriously where do you draw the line with what belongs in a Star wars themed game and what belongs in an actual Star Wars game?
    To me it just seems random.
    If it's about the weather everyone's like "It doesn't have to be accurate it's The Sims" but when it's about not being able to take stuff from your sims inventory with you or flirt with Kylo Ren then suddenly "You shouldn't be able to do that, it's unrealstic, it's Star Wars!"

If I want freaking snow in Batuu then I should be able to do it. This is a sandbox game afterall

Exactly this. Imagine is Selvadorada hadn’t been updated to include thunderstorms and other unique weather, people would have had a hissy fit.
    But just because Batuu is a made up world, it shouldn’t be accurate or realistic? :neutral:
  • keylimepiesims wrote:
    But just because Batuu is a made up world, it shouldn’t be accurate or realistic?

No, not necessarily. The rest of the game is not. If accuracy and perfect realism is high on your list then The Sims 4 is not your game. It requires a sense of humor and a laid back attitude to be enjoyed.
  • "Nindigo;c-17649539" wrote:
    keylimepiesims wrote:
    But just because Batuu is a made up world, it shouldn’t be accurate or realistic?

No, not necessarily. The rest of the game is not. If accuracy and perfect realism is high on your list then The Sims 4 is not your game. It requires a sense of humor and a laid back attitude to be enjoyed.

@Nindigo No but it's a sandbox game which makes restrictions on weather just not align with what the Sims stands for.
    It stands for play your story your way. How will I play my story of living in snowy Batuu when you can't live there or have snow?
    You know what people mean now?

And we're not taking about high realism here. Just weather in a world. It's not much.
  • "SimmerGeorge;c-17649667" wrote:
    "Nindigo;c-17649539" wrote:
    keylimepiesims wrote:

@Nindigo No but it's a sandbox game which makes restrictions on weather just not align with what the Sims stands for.
    It stands for play your story your way. How will I play my story of living in snowy Batuu when you can't live there or have snow?

And we're not taking about high realism here. Just weather in a world. It's not much.

Well, we can easily agree that The Sims 4 is far more a 'play it our way' game than a 'play it your way' game. But that is describing the whole of TS4 in its entirety. And because of that, there is no reason, really, to expect a GP to be any or much different. Is there? I would not expect it, at least.
    CAPTAIN_NXR7
    Seasoned Hotshot
    "Haflinger;c-17648673" wrote:
    "LiELF;c-17648588" wrote:
    "bunny-gypsy;c-17648585" wrote:
    "LiELF;c-17648474" wrote:
    "bunny-gypsy;c-17648425" wrote:
    Isn’t this, appearance-wise, supposed to be copying the Galaxy’s Edge area of the Disney park?

Yes, and it seems to do that exactly. I thought people knew that?

Yes, that was what I thought, too. Perhaps the lore is different in the Galaxy’s Edge versión of Batuu? I’ll have to look this up. (I love going to Disney theme parks, but my family and I have not visited Galaxy’s Edge yet.)

I'm dying to go to Galaxy's Edge! Once the pandemic issue is settled and vaccinated and under control, I totally plan to take a trip there!

We should go together! Disneyland!!

Oh can I come, can I come? I hope it doesn’t rain when we get there! ☂️
  • "CAPTAIN_NXR7;c-17649685" wrote:
    Isn’t this, appearance-wise, supposed to be copying the Galaxy’s Edge area of the Disney park?

Yes, that was what I thought, too. Perhaps the lore is different in the Galaxy’s Edge versión of Batuu? I’ll have to look this up. (I love going to Disney theme parks, but my family and I have not visited Galaxy’s Edge yet.)

I'm dying to go to Galaxy's Edge! Once the pandemic issue is settled and vaccinated and under control, I totally plan to take a trip there!

The more the merrier!

I'd bring that umbrella though. Not because of rain, but holy mynocks, it's hot as blazes out there right now. You can keep the sun off that way. :D Even "wintertime" can be pretty darn warm and sunny (and I live north of L.A. and we don't have nearly as bad up here)
  • "Nindigo;c-17649539" wrote:
    keylimepiesims wrote:

I manage to enjoy it with an immature sense of humor and a high-strung attitude, does that count? ?

"Nindigo;c-17649677" wrote:
    "SimmerGeorge;c-17649667" wrote:
    "Nindigo;c-17649539" wrote:
    keylimepiesims wrote:

Well, we can easily agree that The Sims 4 is far more a 'play it our way' game than a 'play it your way' game. But that is describing the whole of TS4 in its entirety. And because of that, there is no reason, really, to expect a GP to be any or much different. Is there? I would not expect it, at least.

I think this is a good point, actually. I do find that I am able to tell the stories I want to tell (for the most part), but admittedly that does often take a fair bit of imagination on my part, which is in a way unfortunate.

I do wish that it was a "play it your way" kind of game, but lately that's been harder and harder. You're absolutely right; we really shouldn't have expected more. (And I hope that doesn't sound snotty -- it's more like...I'm coming to terms with it lol.)

Yeah... You may be right...but that don't means I gotta likes it... *disgruntled gremlin pouting*

To stay on topic I'll add -- canonically accurate or not, I do wish that there was an option for weather on Batuu. I think it'd look really pretty in the snow and rain~ Especially the Resistance Encampment in the rain! It'd be gorgeous, I bet. Hopefully the modders will step in to make it possible for those who want it ?

"Haflinger;c-17649692" wrote:
    "CAPTAIN_NXR7;c-17649685" wrote:

The more the merrier!

I'd bring that umbrella though. Not because of rain, but holy mynocks, it's hot as blazes out there right now. You can keep the sun off that way. :D Even "wintertime" can be pretty darn warm and sunny (and I live north of L.A. and we don't have nearly as bad up here)

In spite of my whinging, please toss my metaphorical hat into the ring! I'm dyin' to make a real-deal lightsaber now... Savi's Workshop looks absolutely amazing ?
    CAPTAIN_NXR7
    Seasoned Hotshot

The more the merrier!

Well, it would be a first for me! I’ve never even been to the US. Closest was Venezuela, where I trekked through the jungle for a couple of weeks. The climate there might have been very similar to ancient Batuu’s before that cataclysm destroyed the entire surface.

I would have liked if Batuu was affected by a bit of rain now and then, but more like Oasis Springs rather than Selvadorada.
  • It's accurate to the theme park. I do wish they would have just done this as a Disney World Vacation pack and included Star Wars within it, that would have been so much better. I do like the decorations that come with the pack but the replay on the actual content is meh
    Ancaryvan
    Seasoned Newcomer
    "CAPTAIN_NXR7;c-17649727" wrote:

The more the merrier!

Well, it would be a first for me! I’ve never even been to the US. Closest was Venezuela, where I trekked through the jungle for a couple of weeks. The climate there might have been very similar to ancient Batuu’s before that cataclysm destroyed the entire surface.

I would have liked if Batuu was affected by a bit of rain now and then, but more like Oasis Springs rather than Selvadorada.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=keunnLEIBbA
    I'm here for weather contribution... :lol:

https://media1.tenor.com/images/007aa1877bacec447a79a21fdf777202/tenor.gif
    It's not rain, it's pour~~~~~~~~~ing shower.