Forum Discussion

Simmerville
Seasoned Ace
4 years ago

Castle, Palace, Manor or what?

If you play royals and/or high nobility houses, your sims probably reside in spacious conditions. Such big houses often hold history and traditions, and they most likely have a proper name to reflect their status. So, I'm curious to learn how you name those huge estates?

If you only play one royal family you probably have them residing a Castle. I just did some research and found that Castle would be the right name only if it is located on the countryside and has a large park. In real life many former Castles are now referred to as Palaces - simply because the surrounding village grew into a town and the old castle is no longer surrounded by open fields, as it used to be. We're of course not that realistic, but it made me think - should my Duke's big residence be named Castle, Palace, or Manor? And what's the difference between Manor and Estate, anyway?

Would be cool to learn how you name your huge house(s), and perhaps some of its backstory as well.

I don't play any royals, but I have 4 dukedoms (and some baronies), and their estates are all differently named (and probably categorized, too).

Chateau Cavalier (pictured) is the home to Duke Aquess de Cavalier and his Duchess Claudine. The rough stone building is very rustic and the exterior not so elegant. It is shaped as a bone, was built based on older stone constructions 128 years ago. I named it "Chateau" (castle) before I was aware of the differences between a castle and a palace, but as castles normally have a big park (a palace will normally have a smaller garden), and Chateau Cavalier does indeed have the biggest and most impressive formal greenery arrangement in my entire region, so I think it might just about fit the bill. Its location is rural, too, at Cavalier Cove in Brindleton Bay.

Rossie Palace is the home to Duke Jarret Ross, his wife Duchess Ribra Lynn and their 4 sons. I used to think about their home as "Rossie Castle", as it is the biggest and oldest (224 years!) of my four dukedoms' builds, but then I realized they probably have the small town pretty close, and the lot is not large enough for a major park arrangement. They have a rose garden, an apple tree garden with long traditions, and a limited patio with a pool. The location is actually outside my played region, so I'm hoping for a future pack with a suitable new world. So - I'll call it the Rossie Palace.

Von Windenburg Estate is home to Duke Merlin von Windenburg. He is an elderly man with an exciting backstory but no family. The build has a 125 years long and detailed story in my game, and the duke is currently renovating it to its former state. It is not at all a castle, but I feel the Estate name seems a bit lame for a duke, but I think I'll keep it. After all the build is not extremely big, besides this family was mostly pretty much down-to-earth. The dukes von Windenburg used to reside in an old castle that was part of today's ancient ruins, but it was completely ruined during a war long ago.

Finally, Meadows Penthouse (pictured), located at Fashion District in San Myshuno, is home to Duke Victus of Meadows, his wife Duchess Gloria and their daughter Lady Corva. This family used to reside at the Meadows, but one generation ago they moved into the top section of the new city Tower. I don't really have a name for it, but as it definitely is neither a castle, palace nor manor, I'll just refer to it as the Torini Penthouse or Meadows Penthouse. It's also rather new lacking the long history and traditions, allowing for a modern name.

My other nobility households reside in Manors and Estates, mostly. I don't really know when a home is a Manor and when it is an Estate, so maybe that should be my next research ;) Whatever, I rarely change those old names because I like that both families and buildings have a backstory.

How do you name the home of your top crest families?