Forum Discussion

7 years ago

I hate my cowplants! Please change my mind...

I had two cowplants and hated them! I really wanted to have fun with them but...
I had two on my lot with a locked fence around them. I had my sims maintain them for quite a while and they were just grumpy pains in the butt!

SO.... convince to like them...
Is there something I'm missing here? I want to like them but there did not seem to be any benefit to the sims family. Their 'Garden Gnomes' club was not even impressed to visit the cowplants. I just thought there would be more benefit or fun for the work. It's rather like having a couple of dragons in a pen in the back yard. Kind-of a Daenerys experience, if only I could ride them! Be the mother of cow plants or something. ;)
  • While I don't have a lot of them, I rather treated them as pets before the expansion. Playing with them does get up your Fun, and it was good practice to get in the habit of feeding critters. But pets have fulfilled that need for me now, so I probably won't make any new ones unless I do the Aspiration. The family that lives in the Windenburgh countryside still have one, but now that they have a dog, I think of it more as livestock, haha.

If I do fish up or get a Cowplant Seed some other way, I do always plant it, then sell the little calves for around 400 Simoleons. That really comes in handy if you need it. I've seen folks on YouTube use them for a storyline of getting the elixirs and using them to feed their own and others habits in a dark twist. It would be super fun to ride them, then I'd put them in the backyards of bars. :D
  • I have only grown one cowplant in the entire history of my Sims playing, and it was for my one aspiring gardener sim and her equivalent aspiration. Mind you that back then there was no Gardening career so I put her into Business of all things and she did gardening on her off days. She's a master gardener now but her cowplant remains alive to this day and is probably the only cowplant I will ever keep. I've already used it to sacrifice her husband to it so she can drink his remaining lifeforce! Well, it's not like he needed it anymore anyway.

I'm also thinking of making a cult around it, but unsure of that yet. Apart from that they make for great decor when they die.
  • I only used it to complete a collection. It died and I was really bummed. :( I saw a really cool museum with a dead cowplant and now can't locate it on the gallery so if anyone can help with that, thanks.
  • The cowplant definitely is not the same as in Sims 2. I really enjoyed him there. He was a lot more dangerous and I only saw him in the University pack. But he would eat any sim and all of them were attracted to the cake, so he had to be fenced off so Sims couldn't get to him, otherwise they'd be gone. Although sometimes, that would be what you wanted.

The cowplant in Sims 4 can't even attract anyone with their cake. Sometimes though, family members or girlfriends/boyfriends that visited often might go into the yard/garden, and try to play with him at the wrong time. The cowplant couldn't attract anyone else, even townies that came by to talk.

I did enjoy his animations though, especially when dancing to stereo music. I never did get his essence (milk) and basically just used him to finish an aspiration. Then he got stuffed into family inventory and only pulled out when someone else in the family needed to finish that aspiration.

Cowberry's weren't that common, and almost non-existent with Seasons garden overhaul, so having a cowplant in inventory could be useful when needed. I never did have one die but that skeleton could definitely be useful in certain settings.
  • "Cupid;c-16704649" wrote:
    I mean.. there's not much convincing to do. If you don't like them then you don't like them.

They serve a purpose for players who need a handy way to kill off sims or want to play around with the life essence thing, but if you aren't one of those players then it's not going to be much more than a high-maintenance decoration. They do have some other minor perks, like the emotion essences and the fact that they can allow you to gain gardening experience during times when the rest of the garden doesn't need tending.

I don't personally find a use for them with my playstyle, but I can respect that they're useful for a lot of other people.

@Cupid - Yes, that is a great summary of what I was assuming. It really doesn't seem to match my playing style either, but I thought I would try them when I read so many people say how much fun their sims have with them and all, so I was wondering if I was missing some aspect. It helps to hear that this was your conclusion also. Thanks!
    SimTresa
    Rising Novice
    One gardener sim has a cowplant seed that stays in the inventory just to help complete the harvestables collection. I planted one once years ago, messed around with it, and eventually forgot and let it die. Not really interested in planting another.
  • Thank you all for the input! I agree, if I was doing a botanist (my folks went the florist route), that would be good... or for a creepy or off family that was a good match. I was surprised my 'garden gnome' club was so 'meh' about them, though! ;) I do wish there wan in interaction to ride them or something... that might make them worth more while to the general population. Or if you could dance with them or get social interaction credit? Also, wish list thing... that they were a bit less high-maintenance. Like feeding once every 24 hours or something?
  • I grow the Cowplant because I want to complete the aspiration and collectible items. Apart from that, they are good to have in your yard if you feel like you want to kill off your enemies, and milking the emotion drinks..