Forum Discussion

GalacticGal
Seasoned Ace
6 years ago

"It's A Family Heirloom…"

… not the recipe, but the fruitcake! No wonder some Sims get sick after eating it! Sorry to nitpick, but this just jumped out at me today. (I've been in 'edit' mode for too long.)

What other grammar gaffs have you caught in the game? Please share. ;)
    annaliese39
    Seasoned Newcomer
    I always took 'heirloom' to mean it's an old family recipe, like my mum's Christmas cake, not that the cake itself is that old! Yuck. I do love homemade fruitcake though, but then I'm British and we do love our tea and cake. :)
  • "sunblond;c-17059401" wrote:
    Growing up, there was inevitably one of those brick like store bought fruitcakes around during the holidays. I was not a fan.

Then when I was living on my own, an elderly neighbor lady made a fruitcake from scratch, I mean she literally candied the fruit herself, not just bought a mix and baked it. It was delicious.

It's such a big deal, that I recall receiving a Christmas Card years ago where Spock was making fun of the 'brick' to which you refer! But, yes, I've had some that was manufactured, but it was Gourmet and done very well. Love it, probably ate way too much of it, too.
    tcikes
    New Spectator
    As others have mentioned - it's no grammatical error it's a (good) joke. Fruitcakes getting passed down for generations since they taste awful so no one wants them and they never spoil. :)
  • In game they literally never spoil. I leave them out on the counter just because.
  • "GalacticGal;c-17057952" wrote:
    "LosaruTaiyo;c-17057903" wrote:
    I dunno. I've heard some fruitcakes can last centuries...LOL

Actually, I've had fruitcake. Some of it is really very, very good. I imagine, like all things baked, it depends on the recipe used and the skill of the one who bakes it. I've had some that's totally dried out, too. Now, that's gross. LOL

I have had some that is really good as well. But is I receive some that is horrible, I make it look good and re-gift their nasty stuff back to them! LOL
  • "Alexai;c-17060691" wrote:
    "GalacticGal;c-17058700" wrote:
    "invisiblgirl;c-17058552" wrote:
    "GalacticGal;d-959115" wrote:
    … not the recipe, but the fruitcake! No wonder some Sims get sick after eating it! Sorry to nitpick, but this just jumped out at me today. (I've been in 'edit' mode for too long.)

I think it's a joke - they keep giving the fruitcake to their neighbours, and they return the 'favour' later on. They can never get rid of it, because no one is actually going to eat the thing. It's been going on for generations.

LOL That's the best reply I've heard. (And probably closer to the truth, too.) Fruitcake has always borne the brunt of many jokes. Like I said, I've had many a fruitcake over the years. Some very good, moist, lots of flavor, and then some that taste like dust. (Probably over-baked.) I have it on my Bucket List to attempt to bake some up. But, it has to marinate for a bit of time before you bake it. I just have to start thinking about doing it by the beginning of fall, instead of waiting until the customary holiday is imminent. :open_mouth: It's not like a batch of Christmas Cookies, after all!

My aunt makes a fruitcake every Christmas season. The dried fruit is soaked in rum for months. Consequently, the alcohol-laden fruitcake can last a very long time once baked, since it has been preserved (so to speak) in alcohol. This version of fruit cake is also called black cake since the rum turns the fruit black.

Yes, but once it's baked the alcohol is gone …
  • "GalacticGal;c-17060702" wrote:
    "Alexai;c-17060691" wrote:
    "GalacticGal;c-17058700" wrote:
    "invisiblgirl;c-17058552" wrote:
    "GalacticGal;d-959115" wrote:

I think it's a joke - they keep giving the fruitcake to their neighbours, and they return the 'favour' later on. They can never get rid of it, because no one is actually going to eat the thing. It's been going on for generations.

LOL That's the best reply I've heard. (And probably closer to the truth, too.) Fruitcake has always borne the brunt of many jokes. Like I said, I've had many a fruitcake over the years. Some very good, moist, lots of flavor, and then some that taste like dust. (Probably over-baked.) I have it on my Bucket List to attempt to bake some up. But, it has to marinate for a bit of time before you bake it. I just have to start thinking about doing it by the beginning of fall, instead of waiting until the customary holiday is imminent. :open_mouth: It's not like a batch of Christmas Cookies, after all!

My aunt makes a fruitcake every Christmas season. The dried fruit is soaked in rum for months. Consequently, the alcohol-laden fruitcake can last a very long time once baked, since it has been preserved (so to speak) in alcohol. This version of fruit cake is also called black cake since the rum turns the fruit black.

Yes, but once it's baked the alcohol is gone …

True, but for some reason it stays fresh forever.