Forum Discussion

5 years ago

What do you use to fertilize the plants?

Just curious, what do you usually use to fertilize the plants in your Sim's garden? Is it wrong that I'm using spices like basil and sage lol ... I just always end up with so much of these spices.
  • @EnkiSchmidt You're welcome! Unfortunately, I believe the use of dog poop for fertilizer was nerfed with the recent patch that updated gardening once again with the new 10/20/50 rule and faster grafting results. I've read of others that have noticed the same thing here on the forum and on other websites.
    DoloresGrey
    Seasoned Newcomer
    I like to use growfruit. I also liked to use dogpoop but that doesn't really work now for me for some reason.
  • I also follow Carl's guide, and tend to use roses as my fertilizer. It can grow in large quantities and if you run out you can buy more using a sim's phone. I also use bees as well as the fertilizer. I am sad that the Growfruit effect (which was really powerful in the past) no longer works, and neither does dog poop, which should be a very high level fertilizer.
  • I've found fresh fish over 50 simoleons, growfruit (higher quality) and dragonfruit (any quality) to be effective. You'll be waiting a long time to evolve your plants to 'perfect' if you use anything else, especially as you get to the 'excellent' and 'magnificent' stages.

Note that, per Carl's guide, the fish must be fresh - it will still be worth over 50, even if it's rancid, but it doesn't do much as fertiliser. You can store them in the big fish tanks to keep them fresh forever, or in the fridge for several days.
  • Slightly off topic, but if you aren't averse to a more industrial approach, what I did on my farm was this: Plant normal quality, harvest, analyze harvest at the GTW analyzer station until you get produce one grade better. Plant this, rinse, repeat. I got to perfect plants this way much faster than by fertilizing and evolving. But then again, that farm is owned by a large company who wants to churn out profits. An everyman sim probably won't put a chemical analyzer into their kitchen ;)