Forum Discussion

KekePalmer0
Seasoned Newcomer
2 months ago

Trouble Downloading.

A couple weeks ago in July I tried to log into my game on Sims 4 and it wouldn't let me play. I had tried everything so I just left it alone thinking it would stop. Then a day or 2 ago I tried to play and it said update required so I tried updating and it was stuck on "Preparing" so I just kept force quitting the app to try and fix it and eventually I stopped. Last night I started looking things up and it said clear your cache so I did that and now I'm trying to stop the download so I can re-download but its not letting me stop the download or anything!! i would just like to know what's going on.

• I was having this issue but I updated my Mac's OS and that stopped the game update. I then clicked manage on my Sims 4 game and clicked repair and now its updated and works fine.

• I've suggest this elsewhere - and, yes, I do understand it is a drastic suggestion - but possible a complete uninstall and re-install. Game, app, the whole-kit-and-kaboodle. Now, that should work ... but if it doesn't, it's possible you may need to look at your system itself. But try the uninstall, reinstall first and see how that goes.

dreap1
      Newcomer

if I uninstall the sims 4 app, will it erase all of my saved data, including expansion packs? I am playing on my macbook. do I need to delete the entire app and folders? 

• dreap1  Your expansion packs will be deleted along with the base game, but they'll be available to reinstall: your account owns the packs, not your computer.  You don't need to delete anything manually—just tell the EA App to uninstall the game and it will take care of the rest.

Your saves shouldn't be deleted when you uninstall Sims 4.  Saves and other user data are stored in an entirely different location: Documents > Electronic Arts > The Sims 4.  The game itself is likely in Applications > EA Games or Users > your username > Applications, although you could have selected a different location when you originally installed the game.  Point is, the game itself gets removed but the user folder does not.

However, I'd still strongly suggest making a backup of your saves.  This is less about the uninstall process than about having an extra copy should something else delete or corrupt your saves.  You can simply copy the saves folder (inside Documents > Electronic Arts > The Sims 4) to another location, preferably an external drive or USB, but if you don't have one handy, a different folder on your Mac would be okay as well.