Forum Discussion

king_eye93
Rising Newcomer
2 months ago

Seemingly monthly launch failure

Hi -

I had this issue exactly a month ago, and it took me uninstalling and reinstalling 4 separate times and repairing my sims collection 3 times to get it functional and fully installed again. I've been a loyal player since 2000, but the last few months at least have just been terrible.

I tried to open the launcher, and it says that I do not have the launcher installed (I use the EA app and have been for a while, not Origin. Someone needs to check their code). I tried to open the game directly and it says that the shortcut has been changed or moved, despite me not touching it and no one else having access to my laptop. To reinstall several times and repair several times took about 10 hours last month; I am not willing to do this every month to play a game when I only have a few hours a week to sit down and enjoy them. How else do I fix this? 

EA quality control has absolutely gone down the toilet over the last few years, please get this under control before you lose all of your loyal, long-term players. I really love Sims and it's one of my go-to's, I would hate to have to cut it out over EA's cash-over-quality policies.

Please see the attachment for error messages. One is what happens when I try to open the EA app, one is what happens with the game directly. I cannot open them from my menu either, everything is corrupted. I do not use any mods or CC, this is just game and expansions purchased directly from EA. The last fix I did took 3 days and finished on 6/20/24; I had a week and a half to play before life got hectic again and I was looking forward to playing today but came back to this again. It seems to line up with big updates since the latest expansion should be coming out soon, or already did come out. Laptop stats:

Lenovo Pro 7 / Windows 11 v23H2
Processor:    13th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-13900HX   2.20 GHz
Installed RAM:    32.0 GB (31.7 GB usable)
System type:    64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

Hopefully, someone has an answer or devs see this and come up with a long-term fix. Thank you

• king_eye93  It sounds like this issue may be entirely related to the EA App, at least right now—Sims 4 won't open if the App isn't working.  The mention of Origin is only because the error message hasn't been updated.  For the App itself, try uninstalling it with Revo Uninstaller (the free version is fine), and restart your computer before reinstalling.

If you use a third-party antivirus, set an exception for EADesktop.exe after you reinstall the App.  The fact that the desktop shortcut is broken means that the .exe isn't available: it's missing, damaged, or quarantined.