Forum Discussion

6 years ago

Game Engines - some information, please

Dear fellow Simmers and Gurus, I find that I am frequently upset about the lack of features / some malfunction that is probably a result of the game engine. An insufficient game engine seemed to be the reason for discontinuing Sims 3 and it seems to be the reason that Sims 4 lacks open worlds, large animals and has these lagging problems. I am playing games like Skyrim or The Elder Scrolls online with massive open worlds, great wildlife and multiple players - and they do not crash or lag. How is that possible? Can this technology improve the Sims?
I find that I have insufficient knowledge about the mechanisms behind the games. If we could understand the reasons for the difference/limitation, we could avoid unnecessary frustration. Is anybody in a position to explain something? Thank you very much.
  • "mirta000;c-16981213" wrote:
    "Archieonic;c-16979567" wrote:

You could, and even then it would be one single lot, no areas other than that lot were enabled.

Does it matter? It's still 24/7 in a college, or in an apartment. In fact, considering that you yourself can make apartments with as many apartments as you want, The Sims 2 will have more things loaded in than The Sims 4, as every housing lot in The Sims 4 "neighbourhood" is an empty on the inside dummy and therefore requires a loading screen to enter. While every apartment in The Sims 2 has to be furnished at all times as there are no loadscreens in between

Yeah in sims 4 apartment's are load separately but in outside of you're house u have town sims ordering food and drinks, protesting, playing , talking, doing sport and other activities while you are playing in you're apartment. U can see that by looking outside of you're house. All those town sims have needs, different emotions and mood. Also sims are still multitasking and recognise other sims like celebrities, other bad, good or snob sims etc other traits and other sims depending of they're unique reputation.
    Lonewolf1044
    Seasoned Spectator
    I never experienced lag from an spec point of view in Sims 3 or Sims 4 as all my systems were/are high enough to handle what Sims 3 or Sims 4 puts out now the only problem I may have encountered is from an Developer's error in it coding.
  • "Deshong04;c-16981697" wrote:

The reason for discontinuing The Sims 3 is because it has to end eventually. Would you say the same thing for the reason why The Sims and The Sims 2 was "discontinued"? If TS3 game engine is so bad I don't think it would have 11 EP's, 9 SP's and The Store. Not to mention, even survive if the majority did not like and enjoy it. Afterall, TS3 did outsell TS2 in 7 days of its release. Because apparently many liked what they saw in the trailers, watching others play the game, word of mouth, improvements and advancements over TS2, etc.

Don't get me wrong, I love TS3. I own all EP, 8 EP and some 50 Store items. I am now able to play the game without crashes, as I bought a maximum high end Alienware gaming PC about 2 years ago. Previously, as a student I played on a fairly decent Dell PC, which was better than the PCs most teenage girls use. I could play a world for about 10 sim-weeks, then I had to transfer the family to a "fresh world" in addition to using multiple clean saves. In the Asian world the game always crashed due to bad routing.
    EA/Maxis has always been keen to sell the game to the Kids (no adult stuff in game). However, precisely this target group would did experience crashes even with some of the EP installed.

"Deshong04;c-16981697" wrote:

The Sims Olympus became The Sims 4 meaning there was nothing being development for the main PC series, the way I see it, after TS3. TSOlympus was going to be an online multiplayer kind of game similar to TSOnline. The only good thing about TSOnline is that it was a standalone version and never interfered with main PC series. ...

That is interesting, I never really heard about the Sims Olympus. (I generally hate online gaming.) Somebody else mentioned that TS4 was meant to be an online game. I hope they will not make the same mistake when they are planning Sims 5.
  • @HannaZoja It doesn't matter to me whether anyone likes and/or loves TS4 or not. Sure there are some who support ill business practices and poor quality games but that's not me. On the other hand, there are some who support good business practices and excellent quality games that sometimes goes beyond the expectations of fans. Those who support all the bad stuff will get exactly what they deserve in their gaming. Those who support all the good stuff will get exactly what they deserve in their gaming. Fair enough. The only unfortunate part is some franchises no longer live up to its expectation, quality, popularity/success, etc and something once loved becomes ruined because of greed and lack of integrity. Business-Minded vs Business and Consumer-Minded.

Well, you must be playing TS3 in an out-of-control manner because one of my current saves is at 85+ weeks. Though I have some cleaning to do to restore having the best performance. Before that without mods/game altering ones, I think it was around 100+ weeks. Like I stated in another topic, if The Sims Studio had gotten more information out there about how to maintain saves this wouldn't be an issue for some being so confused and frustrated. However, there are plenty of tutorials to help alleviate and/or avoid lag/stuttering/freezing/error code 12/crashing, etc. Though, it would have been more helpful if TS3 had a 64-bit version and overall decent optimization. Read that wrong. But even on my non gaming desktop with an incompatible integrated video card I didn't have much issues getting way past 10 Sim weeks. The only reason why I quit for months after WA was because of a graphical glitch and I just decided to give up playing the game on an incompatible computer until I received a gaming laptop.

Not sure what you mean by selling the game to kids. There are many mature gameplay elements in TS that are not suitable for kids. Teens are not kids but not adults either hence the terms childhood, teenhood and adulthood.
    https://i.postimg.cc/jjHChdzM/Teen-Rating.png
    http://www.esrb.org/ratings/ratings_guide.aspx

https://i.postimg.cc/wvWqWt3Q/TS3-Rating.png
    http://www.esrb.org/ratings/Synopsis.aspx?Certificate=26182&Title=The+Sims+3

About Sims Olympus, etc.
    https://metro.co.uk/2015/09/27/the-10-biggest-problems-with-the-sims-4-readers-feature-5409308/