Forum Discussion

Almaedia
New Rookie
2 months ago

Pack Idea - Transportation

This has likely been thought out before but I’m going to share a bunch of ideas for a “transportation” pack.

Options for transportation, taxi, bus, car, motorcycle, plane, boat. Depending on where you are going these would obviously change but some could have a smaller eco footprint or take longer. I imagine that if a sim took public transportation or had a long ride things would happen along the way (what things I am not sure) also if one transport option takes longer I don’t think you would wait any longer than normal it would just mean that when your sim arrives at the destination the time would have jumped to match the time they were supposed to spend traveling. 

There could be destinations that are only reachable by plane or boat or maybe even train. Destinations could be like mini worlds with only one or two lots that have monuments or tourist attractions. To visit those destinations you could purchase tickets online or show up at the airport, train station, or boat dock which would be 3 separate lots. At those lots there could be a ticket counter or self-service machine where your sim could see the destination options and purchase a ticket. 

Cars and motorcycles, I think cars should be base game but could be customized further in this pack. I’m not sure how customization would work, maybe in build mode there is a car option where you can choose a base model and color and then modify or add things like bumper stickers/decals, spoilers, etc. Motorcycles could be the same or just preset options. 

For some lot and map ideas I think the world could be split by modes of transport. A dock/pier/harbor/port area for the boat dock, maybe a seafood market. A small valley for the train station, maybe a train museum or something or train car diner. Some open plains for the airport, maybe a hotel or rental property. There could also be a downtown with a gas station or something.

There’s a lot of room for new jobs and careers here but i’ll just mention some that I think would be fun or could be developed more. Pilots and flight attendants, Sailor/boat captain, train conductor, some sort of engineer could be added as well.

In CAS there could be some new traits and aspirations. Sims could want to be a “world traveler” they want to visit as many places as possible, they enjoy any form of travel and get excited when visiting new places - even just a new lot. Traits could be along the lines of fearless or sims could have a fear of certain modes of transport like planes or boats. There could also be “frugal traveler” or “lavish traveler” where sims could want to spend the least money possible on transport and accommodation or they could only fly first class and stay at expensive rentals.

That’s all for now on this idea :)

• I would like to throw in RVs ranging from a Class A (think bus) Class C, Class B (Van) and trailers. We got tents but would be nice to have RVs and Trailers as well. 

amapola76
    Seasoned Scout

Quite simply, while it would be potentially interesting, I think any kind of mass transit/public transportation system (buses, planes, trains, etc.) is beyond the capabilities for TS4.

But I absolutely agree that we need cars and motorcycles, as well as improved boats (most importantly, boats that can seat multiple sims). 

I have also long asked for a Traveler/World Traveler trait along with a conflicting "Homebody" trait. Ideally, the Traveler trait would increase the likelihood that you would see those sims out in worlds other than their home neighborhood, while the Homebody trait would make it less likely that you would see them in other worlds (but more likely that you would see them in the neighborhood park or out for an evening stroll). 

Almaedia
      New Rookie

Omg I totally forgot to mention houseboats, i feel like they could be like apartments with set outer walls or something.

LadyGray01
    Seasoned Vanguard

I certainly miss those things. (We've never had planes, but we did have helicopters). At this point I'd settle for a buildable car like the one that we had in Sims 2 that worked as a transport point like phones. I don't have Lovestruck yet, but I gather they added a fake, unusable subway. Lost opportunity there.

Simmerville
    Seasoned Veteran

I think traveling would be interesting, but it should not take much time and focus while traveling. When my sim visits another world the hours fly by too fast already. I do have my own understanding of distances and available transport methodes, more for adding logic to what destination my sim would choose, than to the traveling experience.

However, I think we could be charged a little when traveling (I think it is still free?). It feels a bit strange traveling directly from your sofa, but if you travel often it would probably be annoying needing to watch your sim walking out to the street, especially if numerous household members first must complete the task they are doing and need to walk "five" stories. We could have the unwanted situation that traveling took so much time that we only had 1 hour to spend at the destination.

Running a bus station or a harbor as a business would be fun tough. And if we could decide what worlds' station connects with our station. We could set ticket price, also, but I guess many simmers would find it too tedious if we had to pay a lot of time and attention everytime we go somewhere.