Forum Discussion

5 years ago

Sitting in on class

What is the point of it? I know it was said that if a student sat in on a class it wouldn't contribute to any of their classes or learning but my teen had the option on her phone and I thought at least she might gain some skill but no. She had 6% into level 3 of her acting skill, she paid the 250$ to sit in on an acting class and still she has 6% after. So I just wasted some money for nothing.
  • I just went through and made use of the 'skill classes' for my Sim very successfully in the following manner: I wanted to complete the Mixology aspiration, but my Sim had already gone the route of the chef in that career path, so there was no going back below the split-off in the career path to choose mixology instead. However, I was advised the only way, aside from cheats or mods, was to use the DU Sit In On Skill Class for Mixology 10 times. (I did cheat her skill level in Mixology first from 10 back to 6.) After sitting in on the Mixology skills class 10 times I received a notice that she got the 'Mixology Certificate' (and it had taken her skill up some, but not significantly, as I took the classes). After having her quit her chef job, and having received the 'Mixology Certificate', she was then able to check the available jobs and found a job available for a Mixologist'. She joined that job (at the 'Head Mixologist' level) , then was able to have the Mixologist career choice count toward that Mixologist aspiration. 

This is the only time that I've tried out the 'skills classes' option at DU, but it worked out well for me, and it fixed my issue with career path opening, including getting a higher level career path job (level 6).

• So far my sim does 1 elective and 1 distinguished and 1 other to do with the distinguished and gets what looks like proper credit in all three including the elective. So far for me it is working well.
  • Related to this I find the credit for elective classes is also buggy as my sims don't get the proper grade for the work they put in.
    janyses
    Seasoned Spectator
    They increase skills, and you can receive a certificate for some although it's buggy and not working as intended.
    LadyKyn
    New Traveler
    Most likely a bug which you should report. I had one sim increase in their skill with no problem, but hadn't had no increase had went to an 11% at the first level of a skill.
  • I think the reason EA added this was to expand on the college experience. What I mean by that is some people don't go to college but will take classes for a bit of training in whatever they need to do to help them progress in their careers in real life. Add the classes to the research a sim can do with this. I believe this is to give the player more flexibility in their gameplay. As far as why your sim didn't increase in their skill this I don't understand, it seems that they should have increased in their skill.