Forum Discussion

8 years ago

Copying a bunch of strings from one STBL to another without overwriting the whole thing?

Maybe someone knows something about working with strings that will make this more efficient...

I'm down to basically the last thing before I release the next version of my Sorcerer mod, but due to how I've been doing things, I have a bunch of different ID STBL files with some of the strings for the mod and I want to compile them together into one set of STBL files (one set meaning one file for each language). Just so it's not sheer chaos for translators trying to go through a stupid number of STBL files to put together translations for one language.

Typically, I've been using Sims Studio when I want to combine stuff. In the past (before I had any actual translations) I could just compile the files once (in say, the English STBL file), then delete all of the other language STBL files and duplicate the English one, renaming the ID each time. Much more efficient, in other words, than adding a boatload of strings to 18 different files, one at a time.

But now that I have translations mixed in, that method only really works for files that are 100% English. For ones that are partly, or fully, translated, I can't just use a duplicate of an English file for it, or I'd lose the parts of it that are translated.

(Hopefully this makes sense. I'm really out of it right now and it seems a little confusing to me writing it lol.)

I think ideally, what I'm hoping for is some kind of tool where I can take an existing STBL file and copy/paste add a bunch of strings to it en masse.

Doing it manually for each is horribly inefficient, not to mention soul-crushing. Granted, only 6 of the files have actual translations, so most of them I could do with the duplication method. But the problem is only going to be worse the more translations that are made for the mod, if I ever add strings to it again beyond this update.

Edit: Oh and to give a sense of proportion of how horribly inefficient it is doing it for each one... I have something like 150 strings to add to the "main" files. :lol: