Forum Discussion

LindseyCS
Rising Newcomer
5 days ago

Download will not save in Documents Folder?

I needed to remove my OneDrive for work off my laptop; for some reason, my sims game was playing and saving to this location. The file path was HP/User/OneDrive/Documents, rather than the standard HP/User/Documents folder. I was having an issue with mods as well, so I tried to backup, remove, and redownload. In the process, I lost my saves (but that was my own error), but now the re-download is not working properly. 

I have tried changing the download file path to Program files, Program files x86, and the standard documents folder. None of these paths work to give you the standard Documents/ElectronicArts/The Sims 4 path, which contains the mods and traditional folders. Every download is now downloading files like "EP01"-"EP14" vs the traditional folders. I can play the game and all of my downloaded content works, but I can't use any mods or CC because of the very strange download location and files. Please help!!!

• LindseyCS  Sims 4 will always try to use the Documents directory, as specified by Windows, wherever that is.  (Your computer has several Documents folders, but only one is the directory.)  If it's located in the OneDrive folder, the game will use it too.  The fix is to change the location of the directory.  This is the standard approach:

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/74952-move-location-documents-folder-windows-10-a.html

If that doesn't work, you can force it with a registry edit, but please make sure OneDrive is in fact gone:

https://answers.ea.com/t5/PC/CURRENT-ISSUE-Sims-4-saves-user-content-disappearing-PC/td-p/12475370#Remove

It doesn't matter where you install Sims 4 itself as long as it's not in Documents.

LindseyCS
    Rising Newcomer

By Downloaded content, I means sims expansion/game/stuff packs. Those are working, but adding a mods folder into the Sims 4 folder no longer works.

jpkarlsen
      New Adventurer

The install files goes in Program Files do NOT install to Documents. When you start the game first time the user files and folders will be created usually in documents\electronic arts\the sims 4. As you have seen if OneDrive is enabled they may be moved there. You can prevent that by disabling automatic synchronization of the documents folder or remove onedrive entirely. You can not just add a mods folder. You must use the one the game creates. 

• OT, but if work are dictating what's on your laptap then they should cough up and supply you one. I'm lucky enough to WFH a lot these days & my work didn't blink at providing one, its not high end, but its good enough to run Cisco & the security software they use as well as Office & the other programs we use. I just need to make sure I have reliable wired internet. And they are normally REALLY stingy about everything, in and out the office. We aren't allowed to connect anything not supplied by them to the laptop, but it still took IT months to replace my headset that was about to fall to pieces.

ED Back on topic, just follow @puzzlezaddicts instructions and you are good to go 

But they are right about one thing, you shouldn't have Onedrive mirroring your Documents folder, it has a nasty habit of losing stuff, especially if you aren't coughing up for an Office subscription.