Forum Discussion

3 years ago

Problems With Localization

I am not sure if this is right place to voice this problem but i couldnt find a better place sadly.
My problem is not being able to select a language. Why cant i use my phone at my native and use the game at english? I am a turkish player and i do appreciate efforts to give turkish language. But make it optional, not mandatory. As an amateur translator, localization is huge disaster. There is no consistency, Grammer is sometimes wrong, there are missing parts in translation, as a turkish person that has lived all his life in turkey and talked turkish for 25 years, there are words that has been used that i am not even sure even exist anymore and overall, why do i have to google proper names of the toons or skills when i am talking with my international guild mates? just let me choose the english language.

Here is few problems i can find quickly,
inconsistencies;
Shore trooper : kıyı askeri (now we translate it as whole i guess) (kıyı : shore Trooper : asker i : some kind of binding)
Magma Trooper : magma askeri (okay, same rule)
Death trooper: Death trooper (now, we dont bother to translate them?)
Range trooper : Range trooper (guess we are not translating names anymore)
Snow trooper: Snow trooperi (and now, we didnt translate the name but we add the i in the end? Are we making some kind of witchcraft?)
This is a big eye hurt

Miss translations;
Vaders lead ability, Inspiring through fear: Korku imparatorluğu what does it read as? empire of fear.
Qui Gon Jin, Humbling blow: Aşağılayıcı Darbe What does it read as? Humiliating blow.
Mission Vao, Street smarts: Şehirliler. What does it read as? From city
This seems like a a small problem but it makes it hard to follow guides and talk international.

Missing translations:
Since there is no tb going on right now i cant pull of exact toons but some toons that we face against (specially in darkside hoth) Doesnt have names and we see codes on their health bar instead of their name.

Poor translations:
Some of the abilities are not clear and it really takes great effort to understand them. Do you know where do i read character abilities? from swgoh.gg instead of in game specially when it is a wall of text.

Weird choice of words:
Now, the main point of making a localization is, making it more local and appealing for people that are using that language. I cant say this translations are outright wrong but they are poor choice of words, like i have never used any of these words and never heard someone using them
Potency = Erk. The hell is erk? I am not even sure if the word is turkish.
Deadeye = Boğata. I am 100% sure none in last 150 years used that word.

These are just few examples, i didnt want to keep post way too long and add a bigger wall of text.
    Jac51UB
    Seasoned Novice
    Exact same problem in French as well, I can't even read the prices of upgrades because of how many lines of text they use.
  • Same in German. Some wonky/funny translations, be it names, descriptions or abilities etc. and sometimes making the words or text unnecessarily longer.
    "Hello there" for example is translated as "Hello, how are you"
    Zumwan2
    Seasoned Newcomer
    Android 13 allows per-app language preferences, CG can look into it. https://yggr.medium.com/exploring-android-13-per-app-language-preferences-f08a16e76657
  • "Lumiya;c-2382288" wrote:
    Same in German. Some wonky/funny translations, be it names, descriptions or abilities etc. and sometimes making the words or text unnecessarily longer.

Ich sehe das ehrlich gesagt nicht so.. die deutschen Übersetzungen passen eigentlich ganz gut.

Und das von dir als Beispiel aufgeführte Zitat „Hello there“ wurde nicht vom Spieleentwickler zu „Hallo, wie gehts denn so“ übersetzt, sondern im Film sagt GK eben genau das ;)
  • "Matzecubaña;c-2382573" wrote:
    "Lumiya;c-2382288" wrote:
    Same in German. Some wonky/funny translations, be it names, descriptions or abilities etc. and sometimes making the words or text unnecessarily longer.

Ich sehe das ehrlich gesagt nicht so.. die deutschen Übersetzungen passen eigentlich ganz gut.

Und das von dir als Beispiel aufgeführte Zitat „Hello there“ wurde nicht vom Spieleentwickler zu „Hallo, wie gehts denn so“ übersetzt, sondern im Film sagt GK eben genau das ;)

Haha ich weiß. Es gibt aber ein paar Übersetzungen, die ich nicht so gelungen finde weil sie teilweise wortwörtlich übersetzt sind. Z.B. Turn the tides von Thrawn ist ja eine Redewendung im englischen, Ebbe und Flut würde man aber niemals so in dem Zusammenhang benutzen. Den Spieß umdrehen wäre da eine passende, vergleichbare Übersetzung. ?
  • Localization can present several challenges, even with expert services like those offered by Mars Translation. One major issue is ensuring cultural relevance—what works in one region may not resonate in another. For example, certain idiomatic expressions or cultural references can be difficult to translate accurately, potentially leading to misunderstandings. Additionally, localization often requires adapting content for different formats or regulatory requirements, such as legal or technical documents, which can be complex and time-consuming. Balancing quality and speed is another hurdle, as businesses often need quick turnarounds without sacrificing accuracy, which can sometimes compromise the final product.