Forum Discussion

sbradley5
New Novice
19 hours ago

Game is unplayable after the last update

My game is unplayable. It get stuck on the loading screen if I select a previously saved household, or if I travel or enter CAS. I can play for a while if I start a new household, but it eventually freezes when I leave my lot. The only way to get out of the frozen loading screen is to reboot my PC. I can no longer open the task manager or anything else in the background while my game is running.

What I've tried so far- reinstalling my game from scratch, removing all of my mods (it still gets stuck with NO mods), forcing a new 'The Sims 4 folder' to be created,  game repair, clearing my avitarcache and localthumbcash, and restoring a save. 

• sbradley5  Your dxdiag shows a couple of crashes of the graphics driver, or one of them at least.  So please update the Nvidia driver.  You can get the newest one here:

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/drivers/

Select GeForce, 16 series (notebooks), 1650, Windows 11, and download the result.  Run the installer as an admin: right-click the download and select "Run as administrator."  Choose the Custom (not Express) install method, and check the box to perform a clean install.  Restart afterwards and before trying to play.

If this doesn't help, please look for new errors in the Reliability Monitor.  Hit Windows key-R and enter "perfmon /rel" without quotes, and you'll see a chart of errors and updates with a column for each day.  Today is on the right.

Look for an error that happened at exactly the time of your most recent Sims 4 crash.  If you find one, double-click it to see more details, then copy that info and paste it into a reply here.  If you don't see a new error, check back in an hour or so—the Reliability Monitor doesn't always update right away.

• sbradley5  Your dxdiag shows a couple of crashes of the graphics driver, or one of them at least.  So please update the Nvidia driver.  You can get the newest one here:

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/drivers/

Select GeForce, 16 series (notebooks), 1650, Windows 11, and download the result.  Run the installer as an admin: right-click the download and select "Run as administrator."  Choose the Custom (not Express) install method, and check the box to perform a clean install.  Restart afterwards and before trying to play.

If this doesn't help, please look for new errors in the Reliability Monitor.  Hit Windows key-R and enter "perfmon /rel" without quotes, and you'll see a chart of errors and updates with a column for each day.  Today is on the right.

Look for an error that happened at exactly the time of your most recent Sims 4 crash.  If you find one, double-click it to see more details, then copy that info and paste it into a reply here.  If you don't see a new error, check back in an hour or so—the Reliability Monitor doesn't always update right away.

• It was my Nvidia driver! I updated the driver and my game has not crashed since. I've been in and out of CAS and different worlds. Major lesson learned...I should have saved my games. I could see 2 days ago an update came through for the driver. That's when I started having issues with game crashes. I will start with updating drivers first next time!. Thank you for getting me back up and running.