Forum Discussion

aliceward12
Rising Newcomer
3 days ago

Moving to external drive

Please help, not the most tech savvy person in the world. I got an external drive as my laptop didn't have enough space anymore for the new expansions and my mods and CC. I decided to uninstall the Sims 4 from my laptop (saved my mods folder safely elsewhere) and then reinstalled the game onto the external drive. I've then gone to put my mods back in but they aren't being recognised and now I could quite literally cry. Can anyone PLEASE PLEASE help me??

• aliceward12  Regardless of where you install the game, Sims 4 will always look for your user folder—saves, mods, and other user data—in Documents Electronic Arts.  If you'd like this folder to be on your external drive too, you'll need to create a symbolic link:

https://crinrict.com/blog/2020/02/moving-windows-documents-folder-to-external-drive-via-symbolic-link.html

You can put this folder anywhere, but please do NOT combine it with the game's program files, as in, what the EA App installs.  Doing so can cause all kinds of problems now or later.  So if you need to, create a separate folder on the external, for example D:\Game Data, and put the user folder inside that.

If you need further help with this process, please list the location where you want the user folder and the command you're using.